Saturday 21 September 2013

The turning point....

So this is my first post....and I'm looking at a blank screen thinking where do I begin, I guess I'll start at the beginning.  I don't want to repeat the "About Me" section so to summarise.... Art student enters real world and has a career in an office looking at spreadsheets, (yawn), so makes cards for family and friends to stay arty and be creative, fast forward to 16th September 2012 and fizzi~jayne makes.... is born. 
 
I started to get regular customers, receive good feedback so I  started to wonder if I could do this full time.  I then doubted myself and dismissed it as a silly idea, I was brought up to  believe the way to make a living is to work for a company where it is a guaranteed wage coming in with a pension plan. The turning point for me to think "you know what, I can do this!" was at the Folksy Summer School held in an idyllic location of Ecclesall Woods in Sheffield back in August.  It was a jam packed weekend full of inspirational speakers and I came away buzzing. 

There were some amazing speakers.... Patricia van den Akker of The Design Trust, a seriously passionate and inspirational speaker.  I was so pleased I made time for the workshop on product photography class with Lyndsey James. It was great to hear Emma Jones of Enterprise Nation speak, I read one of her book, Your Talent into a Business,  which I recommend. Since hearing Polly Dugdale of Handmade Horizons speak I am now attending their online course on Christmas ecommerce. 


My new notebook especially for going back to school


Handmade Pom Poms lead us to the classroom



I came away from the weekend full of drive and ambition and the realisation I need a plan.  

It was Tilly Walnes of Tilly and the Buttons (and The Great British Sewing Bee fame) who was speaking at the Folksy School that inspired me to start this blog.  I want to write about my journey, my highs and lows to hopefully inspire and support others wanting to start their own creative business and share my love and passion of craft.

I hope you will join me on this crafty ride....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love to hear from you, whether you just pop by to say hi, share your experiences or want to give me feedback. I appreciate your comments and love reading them.