Tuesday 24 June 2014

Crafty Technique ~ The Gelli Plate....

I love creating my own backgrounds using paints, inks and stamps.  So when I heard about the Gelli plate I couldn't wait to get my mitts on it and o boy have I had fun!!....




The Gelli Plate is a way to monoprint without a press. The first time I took it out of the packet I just played and experimented and had fun with it!

It feels like jelly! but it doesn't contain any gelatine, as veggie I had to check!

I used stencils, a brayer and acrylic paints with my Gelli plate, all of which I had in my crafty stash (I'm still trying to be savvy!)

The acrylic paint is applied with a brayer to give a smooth, even coverage....


I applied paint over a spotty stencil, card is then placed over the top and using your hand you smooth across the back of the card applying a small amount of pressure to transfer the print to the card

I used Buff Titanium as the base colour and applied then applied Coeruleum Blue and white

White Swirl and Blue spotty stencil
After you take the print off there is still some paint left on the plate, don't waste it! With another piece of card go through the same process and you get a second print and it cleans your Gelli plate!
 
By this point I was mixing all sorts of paint colours and the 1st print off the plate looks dirty but the second print looks cleaner yet patchy but you can still be used for a background.


My first finished product using this technique, can you see where I've used it?
 
It seems a shame to cover most of it up but it suited the design of this card perfectly don't you think?
You can also get some cool effects with bubble wrap

I started playing with other colours and a butterfly stencil....
 

I've highlighted some of the butterflies by drawing around them with a silver glittery pen. I've die cut a matching butterfly and I have an MDF frame which I want to use with this, but it is still work in progress. To be continued....

It is so much fun and no matter how hard you try you will never have the same image twice, so every design is unique.

I have so many ideas, what would happen if I used leaves or lace or what else can I use as a stencil??  I have so much experimenting and playing to do, watch this space....

fizzi~jayne x

4 comments:

  1. This looks like so much fun and easy to use too - what a fab idea! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of fun! You can get so many prints done in a short space of time as well. The best thing is I have just touched the surface, I have so many ideas to try using different objects as well as stencils and different inks. I'm sure the Gelli plate will feature on this blog again ;-) xx

      Delete
  2. I've seen Gelli plates on art blogs and wondered if it was worth getting one, or if it'll just end up being an expensive ornament!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I go through periods where it is just sat on my shelf but I love the gelli plate and the results I get every time I use it.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love to hear from you, whether you just pop by to say hi, share your experiences or want to give me feedback. I appreciate your comments and love reading them.