Monday 14 March 2016

New Year Crafty Resolution ~ Calligraphy....

I launched a new #CraftBlogClub challenge back in January and the topic was simple, to learn a new craft or technique.  A perfect excuse to get out the beautiful calligraphy starter kit that my lovely friend Sarah gave me for my birthday and make a start on my crafty resolution.


I also have this book that I bought a while ago to help me get started.



So here are my first attempts at calligraphy....

Using the book I followed the advice of making different pen strokes first.



I kept smudging the ink.  It can take a while to dry especially if you make thick lines.



Using the guide that came with the kit, I traced the letters to practice writing them individually and then I traced my name.



Here it is freehand underneath.


Once I had finished the paper that came with the kit I bought a calligraphy pad.  I did try using a layout pad but the ink bled.  The calligraphy paper is beautiful, it's like the old fashioned parchment paper, I feel like I should be writing important letters or thoughtful poetry with it!

I started to practice more freehand using the book for guidance.


I started to feel comfortable and started to write words, without drawing guide lines first, I know I'm a maverick!


I haven't got a finished piece, but that's not what the challenge is about, I'll keep practising and keep posting updates on my progress.



Have you started a new craft this year? I can't wait to see what everyone has created and how you have got on with this challenge.  If you have written a blog post please add the link to the linky below so everyone can have a look, this is the fun bit of the challenge, seeing what you have all made. Don't worry if you haven't posted it yet, the linky will be open for the next 3 weeks.

In tomorrow night's #CraftBlogClub chat we'll be talking about this challenge and sharing photos of what we have done. I hope you will join us at 7pm (GMT, 15th March) over on Twitter, it doesn't matter if you haven't joined us before, we are a friendly bunch and welcome new crafters every week.

fizzi~jayne x

4 comments:

  1. Lovely work, Fiona! You seem to have picked up this new skill very quickly :o)
    I can't say that I have learnt a new craft yet this year, but have had a go at punch needle rug making with yarn rather than fabrics, which are my usual choice. I also decided to do more hand stitching, which I really enjoy.
    I think it is good to try new things as it can lead in you in interesting new directions with your art and craft work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks Julia! Calligraphy is therapeutic and I got into a rhythm. It's not perfect but I'll keep practicing! I like the sound of punch needle rug making. I agree with trying new things, it stops me from getting stuck in a rut and improves all areas of my creative work. If you have a blog please leave a link so I can check it out :-)

      Delete
  2. Love calligraphy , used to do it a lot years ago. Lovely work Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love your embroidery. Thank you for taking part :-)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love to hear from you, whether you just pop by to say hi, share your experiences or want to give me feedback. I appreciate your comments and love reading them.