Wednesday 20 April 2016

DSLR Product Photography Class....

Last week I attended a great product photography class at DSLR Photography Courses. It was a full day and with only 4 of us in the class we received customised tuition. We learnt about shutter speed, aperture and ISO and I'm so happy that I can confidently use my camera on fully manual now! Before I was only able to use it on shutter speed / aperture priority mode but now I know how to use all three functions together.  By understanding all the elements I can control the light and take better photographs.

We practiced lots with our cameras using our own products as well as having some fun with action men....
  • Experimenting with depth of field







  • Focusing on an object in the background


  • Focussing on the object at the front

I also learnt about metering, it turns out the bar in the view finder actually means something! By over exposing a white background it looks white (not a dirty off white which can happen) and under exposing makes a grey or black background actually look like their true colour not a bleached out version.
  • Over exposed

  • various levels of exposure on a dark grey background

  • We had a chance to work with studio lights and controlling shadows with diffusers and reflectors. This image was taken using flash lighting

Furniture made by a fellow class mate http://www.tortiehoare.com/
We were also given an introduction to Macro photography.  The detail of a macro lens is amazing and a must especially if you sell jewellery, although the price tag for these lenses is not cheap! Needless to say I will get to grips and make do with my prime lens for now.

If you want to improve your product photography I would recommend a similar course and if you are in the London area check out the courses available at DSLR Photography Courses. I was really impressed with their studio set up and our tutor Katerina was very knowledgeable and inspiring.

I need to practice now and hopefully you will see improvements with my photography in the future.

fizzi~jayne x

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last furniture photo is looking very amazing and natural due to have white background and drop shadow. Thanks for sharing such a great post. We think that you have applied Clipping Path Service for removed the background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last furnishings photo is looking very impressive and also all-natural as a result of have white background and also decrease shadow. Many thanks for sharing such an excellent message. We assume that you have applied clipping path service for gotten rid of the history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gotta bookmark this website it seems extremely helpful very useful
    clipping path service

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really I appreciate the effort you made to share the knowledge. This is really a great stuff for sharing. Keep it up . Thanks for sharing. Clipping Path Service

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed your blog Thanks for sharing such an informative post.
    Check it out for amazon photo editing services ...

    https://www.retouchingzone.com/amazon-photo-editing-services/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved reading your article on the topic DSLR Product Photography . All the facts have been explained clearly. Thanks Fione.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post. This blog is very nice content helpful. Clipping Path Services

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love to hear from you, whether you just pop by to say hi, share your experiences or want to give me feedback. I appreciate your comments and love reading them.